On-campus living aims to benefit students

By Erika Brock
erika.brock@franklincollege.edu

This past week marked the beginning for registering for housing next year. Students could choose to live on campus, off campus or in fraternity houses.

Jacob Knight, director of residential life, said roughly 90 percent of the incoming freshman class will live on campus and the other 10 percent will live at home with their parents.

School rules state that “Franklin College firmly contends that campus residences offer unique opportunities for socialization and participation in community governance, and that the challenges of group living are a contributing factor in students’ overall education and personal development. For this reason, the following residency policy is in effect at the institution.”

To live off campus a student must be:

  1. Students residing with parents or legal guardians who live in Johnson County, Marion County or at a location that is less than a 30-minute drive to campus as determined by the college (verification of residence may be required).
  2. Students residing with their spouses (verification of marriage may be required)
  3. Students with military veteran status verified by the Academic Records Office.
  4. Students who obtain medical waiver through the campus physician. Forms for this may be obtained in the Dean of Students’ office.
  5. Senior year students who have 91 or more credit hours.
  6. Students who have obtained an exception from the Dean of Students. Exceptions are rare. Requests must be submitted in writing using the form that is available in the dean of students’ office.

“The reason we are a residential school is because there is a lot of research that has shown that students that are involved on campus are more likely to persist until graduation,” Knight said.

Knight said students can’t help but be involved when they are on campus. When a student is on campus, Knight said there are additional services available to students that “aren’t as readily available to someone not on campus.”

The rules state that if a student does not qualify to live off campus, but breaks the rules, he or she will be billed at the current lowest room rate.

Recently, sophomore Carley Campbell is being charged for breaking the rules this past year. Campbell said she doesn’t agree with students not being allowed to live off campus. She said because students pay so much in tuition and it is expensive, students should be allowed to live off campus.

Along with living on campus, either in residence halls or in the fraternity houses, students are required to have a meal plan with Sodexo.

Freshman Richie Conway said he wanted to live in a fraternity house next year, but because of the rule that he had to pay for board also, he was unable to afford it and will be living off campus once again.

Knight said the point of living on campus and having a meal plan is that students don’t need to worry about going to the grocery store or getting their next meal.

“Living off campus is a love hate relationship,” Conway said. “You are not around as much, so I miss things, and I spend a lot of time driving. But I also get home cooked meals and have a quiet place to study. I think all students should be allowed to live off campus in the apartments (close to campus). It shouldn’t matter the grade.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About Ashley Shuler 1253 Articles

Ashley Shuler is the executive editor of The Franklin. She has held various multimedia journalism and public relations internships, including positions at Indianapolis Monthly, The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis and Dittoe Public Relations.

When she isn’t staying up late to edit stories, Ashley spends her time boutique shopping and drinking as much vanilla Coke as possible.

This is Ashley’s third year in a leadership role and her fourth year on The Franklin staff. She previously held positions as web editor and news editor.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*